The exhibition "Aeolus and the Wind Roses", through the expositionof over 30 original maps, dating from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century, intends to enhance the myth of the God of the Wind and, at the same time, to document the evolution of the perception of borders of the Mediterranean basin through the centuries. The exhibition itinerary will lead the visitor on a journey through history, starting from the ancient world, through the medieval period up to the modern period, which will illustrate the developments and transformations of navigation systems linked to cartography, as well as the different classifications of the winds, based on the historical period and on the geographical area of production of papers and treaties. An important section of the exhibition is dedicated to the various forms of wind roses and to the different symbolic meanings associated with them.
Wind rose, certainly a decorative symbolic charm, was mainly a representation of the geographical system: through the rhomboidal lines, "rays of the sun", the direction of the winds was indicated, an indispensable element to trace the navigation route at the time.
Among the various works we mention the italian wind rose with 32 winds, an exemplary manuscript with ink made of ferrugal walnut dated 1477, which coincides with the great discoveries, when the nautical charts were not yet equipped with meridians and parallels. The map, drawn in the fifteenth century, verified with the most modern satellite systems, was extraordinarily accurate.